As I mentioned in the last post thanks to Tableau Blog Finder, I have discovered several data blogs and I am learning new tricks. After seeing this post on DataRemixed which visualizes history of US presidents and given that next parliamentary elections of India are just around the corner, I was inspired to create a similar visualization for prime ministers of India. I really fumbled with few points but could get it done and here is the result of my attempts. Click on the image to view the interactive dashboard:
- First thing I observed was that compared to the original dashboard on DataRemixed and a few similar ones, I was visualizing a much shorter period of time – 66 years. It was a very eventful time period though.
- Uttar Pradesh has given the country 8 prime ministers.
- 3 prime ministers died while in the office.
- Only 2 ex-prime ministers are alive as of today.
- Other than two major political parties – INC and BJP, the longest rule was under the prime minister Morarji Desai of Janta Party. It was also the first non-Congress government of India.
* Gulzarilal Nanda served as an acting prime minister of the country twice – after death of Jawaharlal Nehru and Lal Bahadur Shashtri.